Honey for Cold & Cough
National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) and Public Health England (PHE) advised the public to consider using honey for cough & cold. This advice came after the various scientific evidence.
Honey is referred to as a substance that “relieves throat irritation” by WHO in its recent report.
Honey has been used as a conventional remedy for cough for thousands of years. It has antimicrobial effects and antioxidant properties.
It has been discovered that honey is more effective than the popular medication dextromethorphan(DM) on cough and sleeping inability especially in children.
Other medications have side effects and whereas honey is both effective and safe to consume.
Here we have compiled various conventional remedies which have honey for the treatment of cough and cold.
Honey treatments for cough
- Mix one teaspoon of freshly extracted ginger juice with one spoon of honey.
- Have it in one go.
- Take 2-3 times a day.
- It relieves symptoms of cold, cough & sore throat immediately.
- Add 1/4 of fresh lemon juice and one teaspoon of honey in one cup of warm water.
- Take 4 times a day.
Remedy 3 (For dry cough)
- Mix one tablespoon of honey with 1/3 teaspoon of turmeric powder.
- Lick the whole mixture.
- Add a tablespoon of fresh lemon juice to one-quarter cup of raw honey.
- Take a teaspoon of the mixture every two or three hours.
- Slice a large onion into half.
- Remove 8 inner layers to make a cavity.
- Pour raw honey in a cavity.
- Place in refrigerator for 3 hours.
- Have this honey every two hours until the cough subsides.
- Chop a medium-sized onion.
- Add one tablespoon of honey.
- Wait for 4 hours.
- Take one teaspoon of the mixture every hour, until the cough subsides.
Remedy 6 (Bronchitis and Whooping Cough)
- Add one teaspoon of finely chopped thyme to one tablespoon of honey.
- Take it every half an hour.
Natural Flu Shot
- 3 tbsp raw honey
- Juice of 6 lemons
- 3 cups Pineapple Juice
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1/4 tsp cayenne powder
Method of preparation
- Take out juices of lemon and pineapple and blend it
- Crush garlic and add to the juice
- Add cayenne powder to the mixture
- Finally, add raw honey and blend it well
- Keep it in a clean jar
Take 1 cup four times daily until all symptoms disappear
Garlic& Honey Cold Treatment
- ½ cup raw honey
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled & sliced into 8 pieces
- Juice of 1 lemon
Method of preparation
- Take 4 cups of water, add pieces of garlic clove, boil it until the garlic aroma spreads.
- Add honey to garlic water and stir it well.
- Add lemon juice and blend it well.
Take a sip of this remedy every half an hour. until symptoms subside.
Few More Popular Remedies for Cold
- Add 1/4 spoon of cinnamon to one tablespoon of raw honey.
- take once or twice for 3 days.
- Use raw honey as sweetner in herbal tea.
- Drink 3-4 cups daily.
- Add honey to warm water
- Drink it when it still warm
- Take 3 times a day
- Crush 2 cloves of garlic, and 1/4 medium-size onion.
- Add to two tablespoonfuls of honey.
- Add 1/4 teaspoon of red pepper powder.
- Make a homogenous mixture.
- take 1-2 spoon after meals for 2-3 days.
Remedy 5 (mexican cold remedy)
- Mince 5-6 garlic cloves.
- Add garlic to 2 cups of water.
- Boil it till it spreads the aroma.
- then allow it to cool.
- Add one teaspoon of honey and few slices of lemon.
- Mix it well and drink 2 times for 3 days.
- Add 2 spoons of chamomile leaves in hot water.
- Allow it to cool.
- Add one tablespoon of honey and 3 teaspoons of lemon juice.
- Mix it well.
- Drink 2 times daily for 3 days.
Drink a lot of water during cough and cold. It loosens the congestion caused by viruses.
Allopathy medicines used for cough and cold has many side effects. It is wise to use natural home remedies like honey for cough & cold.
Disclaimer: The remedies, approaches, and techniques described here are meant to supplement, and not to be a substitute for, professional medical care or treatment. They should not be used to treat a serious injury or health problem without prior consultation with a qualified health care professional.