Beeswax wrap is a natural alternate to aluminium foil and plastic wraps like cling wrap which releases metal and harmful chemicals into food.
The ill effects of plastic wrap:
People are exposed to the harmful chemicals of plastics during manufacturing and while using it for various food packaging purpose.
The chemicals transport itself from the wrap to the food when they use to contain it.
Plastic wraps include chemical like styrene which is harmful to one’s health. This chemical in plastic can cause respiratory and eye irritation and skin rashes.
The alternate ways to plastic and plastic wraps:
- Beeswax wrap is the best alternative to plastic wrap or aluminium foil.
- Don’t use polycarbonate drinking bottle. Instead of this, you can use metal container and food in glasses.
- Be careful and not to give plastic teethers or toys to your children.
- In the place of plastic wrap use natural fibre clothing as food wraps.
Why beeswax wrap?
Beeswax is a natural honey bee product. Therefore, Beeswax wrap is the safest method for storing food, fruits, vegetables, snacks and bread. Using this natural wrap will also cut down your household waste because of its reusable nature.
This natural wrap makes the container airtight and locks in moisture. This is an eco-friendly reusable wrap.
It is very easy to care. Just gently wash them with cool water and dish soap. Finally dry it in the air. This way you can reuse it again and again.
How to make beeswax wrap:
- Beeswax pellet – 2 tbsp
- Pine resin powder – 2tbsp
- Jojoba oil – ½ tbsp
- 100% cotton fabric. The cotton needs to be thin similar to a sheet.
Note: These ingredients are as per the size of 8X8 fabric.
Remember the amount of ingredients that we need depends upon the number and size of the sheets that you use for making Beeswax wrap.
So, use the ingredients more or less in quantity according to the fabric that you have cut into to make Beeswax wrap.
- You need an Oven to preheat it at 225F or 107°C.
- Now cut your fabric according to the size of your choice. You can make it small, medium or large sizes.
- You need parchment paper and baking sheet both.
- Put the parchment paper on the baking sheet. After this place the fabric on the top of it.
- In this step, sprinkle the mixture of Beeswax, pine resin powder and Jojoba oil on top of the fabric.
- Place the baking sheet for 10 to 15 minutes until the mixture melts completely.
- Take out the baking sheet from the Oven out and spread the melted mixture by using paintbrush over the fabric.
- Using the tong or holding in your fingers you can either wave the sheet to cool it or hang it at a safe place to dry this completely.
- Now your natural Beeswax wrap is ready to use as an alternative to plastic wrap or aluminium foil.
Beeswax wrap is the best alternative to the harmful or toxic effects of the plastic wrapper. Always prefer the natural products over the using of plastic which causes an environmental hazard.