Honey and sugar both are used as a sweetener in various snacks and food to enjoy their sweetness.
There is a lot of difference when it comes to the health effects between these two, even though the sweetness of both sweeteners is similar.
Table of contents
- What is the main difference?
- The Health effects
- Let’s compare the effect of both sweeteners on each organ
- 1. For Digestion
- 2. Weight gain/loss
- 3. Honey for healthy and glowing skin
- 4. The Glycemic Index (GI) Effect
- 5. Proven to be effective for medicinal Purposes
- 6. Honey is the best replacement for table sugar – Because
- Where can we replace sugar with honey?
What is the main difference?
in summary, the following are the main differences between table sugar and natural honey:
1) Table sugar is a heavily processed sugarcane product. Whereas, honey is a natural sweetener that honey bees make using flower nectar.
2) Table sugar has empty calories and is contaminated by various spurious chemicals during processing. On the other end, honey is a natural and ready-to-eat sweetener which has micronutrients including antioxidants and live enzymes.
The Health effects
Natural honey is an obvious winner when it comes to health. Honey is in great use for centuries as a portion of healthy food and excellent medicine. It has a positive effect on many organs in the body as well.
Let’s compare the effect of both sweeteners on each organ
1. For Digestion
Natural honey has the simplest form of natural sugars. firstly, it soothes the stomach lining. Secondly, it gets absorbed quickly and finally, it helps in the absorption of various nutrients.
Excess use of table sugar in confectionaries irritates the stomach lining. It decreases the absorption of nutrients and above all, causes loss of appetite in children.
2. Weight gain/loss
The use of natural honey helps lose excess weight. It offers valuable help in your weight loss journey.
Excess use of empty calories like sugar and confectionaries causes weight gain.
3. Honey for healthy and glowing skin
Honey contains antioxidants. its usage is simple! Use it to clean your skin and wash your face for glowing skin. In addition, honey helps in removing acne which troubles your skin mostly.
The methods to use honey for various skin-related problems have a very positive effect.
Sugar affects and troubles our skin contributing to wrinkles and skin weakness. Furthermore, it leads to premature ageing.
4. The Glycemic Index (GI) Effect
Honey is always low in GI ( Glycemic index). Whereas, sugar is high in GI. This difference between high and low GI help in controlling blood sugar levels. In this case, honey provides relief in regulating blood sugar levels because of low GI.
GI level is always high in sugar compared to honey. Therefore, the blood sugar level shoots up when using table sugar.
as shown above, honey becomes a better choice than sugar in most of your sweet-bound diet.
5. Proven to be effective for medicinal Purposes
Raw honey is the first choice and is in great demand for many herbalists as they use it for various medicinal purposes to cure various diseases.
Honey can be used as an antiseptic for healing burns and wounds, for cough treatment, alleviating allergies and for various other medicinal purposes.
Sugar has no history of medicinal usage as it is not naturally processed food. A lot of unhealthy chemicals get into it.
6. Honey is the best replacement for table sugar – Because
High consumption of sugar is less healthy and leads to gut bacteria diversity. similarly, this increases the risk of chronic diseases.
Since sugars are refined, liver-related issues will arise accordingly, as the liver has to metabolize refined fructose.
Excess intake of table sugar leads to weight gain and obesity which increases the potential of heart disease and type 2 diabetes.
With a high sugar diet, dental cavities go up faster. Since honey is sweeter than table sugar and high in calories, so, add and use less honey to balance its lower effect on calories.
In brief, It is advisable to use it moderately by replacing it with table sugar. Honey will give you a sweet healthy life.
Where can we replace sugar with honey?
- Baking Bread, Cakes, Muffins and Pies.
- Making Sauces.
- Hot drinks (Goes well with hot morning and evening tea).
- Use it with flavoured cake.
All things considered, one cannot brush aside the huge benefits of honey against sucrose or table sugar’s ill effect on our health and life.
It is our choice to choose between these two sweeteners to include in our diet for a healthy life.
Honey anciently proved to be a wonder for humans on earth in many aspects of our life. It doesn’t have any added sugar.
Surely, Honey will be your best choice!