DIY Honey Jalebi or funnel cake made with pure honey offers a delicious sweet taste that every Indian enjoys it.
The twisted flour mixture or batter is fried in oil and then soaked in the syrup, especially the syrup made out of Raw Honey but not the regular sugar. This would present a unique sweet taste of honey to relish.
Table of contents
History of Jalebi or funnel cake in India:
Persian invaders and traders brought the Jalebi sweet recipe to the list of Indian desserts during the medieval time. They called it ‘Zulbiya’ in the Persian language.
But the name ‘Zulbiya’ was replaced by the Indian name ‘Jalebi’ which is popularly made and available across every part of India.
Ultimately, this crisp Jalebi finds its place in every Indian religious festival. Also, it is very famous for special occasions in India. Every region makes different texture Jalebi according to their tradition.
They used all the natural ingredients such as Raw Honey, all-purpose flour, saffron and Rosewater to make it Indian styles like crispiness, its colour and sweet sticky nature of Jalebi.
What made Jalebi a sweet healthy dessert earlier was the natural ingredient in it especially Raw Honey and Rosewater. They used them to make the natural syrup for this mouth-watering sweet.
Here is the Recipe for DIY Honey Jalebi: Preparation is Easy and Quick!
- All-purpose flour – 1
- CupCorn flour – 2 tbsp
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tbsp
- Curd – ½ cup
- Water – ½ cup
- Baking soda – ½ tbsp
- Lemon juice – 1tbsp
- salt – 1 pinch
- Oil for frying
Jalebi syrup ingredients:
- Raw Honey – 1 Cup
- Water – 1 Cup
- A good quantity of saffron
- ¼ cardamom powder
- Mix all-purpose flour, cornflour, turmeric powder, curd, Lemon juice, salt and water for 5 minutes until it turns into a smooth and ribbon consistency.
- Now mix baking soda and keep it aside.
- In the meanwhile make the syrup by adding Raw Honey and water along with saffron and cardamom powder in a pot and bring it to a boil. Let it simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Take a frying pan and pour the oil one inch deep. And heat it for 5 minutes.
- Take the mixture or batter and put it into a Ziploc bag or squeezable sauce bottle and make a small hole.
- Squeeze the Ziploc bag containing the batter in a circular way onto the oil. And fry the Jalebi for one minute or until it turns golden brown in colour.
- Take it off from the frying pan and place it on paper.
- Now soak the Jalebi in warm raw honey syrup for just a few seconds.
- Take it off and serve this marvellous sweet Jalebi wholeheartedly.
DIY Honey Jalebi is an amazing sweet dessert that every Indian loves so much. So, try this recipe and you would definitely love this homemade Raw honey Jalebi!
Other Useful Resources: